Tuesday, September 11, 2012

Crazy Train solo w/tab



Here is the insanely cool solo to Crazy Train as played by Randy Rhoads during his all too short time with Ozzy. Being a HUGE fan of both Ozzy and in particular Randy Rhoads this solo was a pleasure to do.

This is a solo that I learned a LOONG time ago… but also one that I never likely played quite right as I lifted it at 15 or 16 years of age. So it was fun to try to get it right. Randy was a HUGE influence on me and continues to be to this day. In my darkest times as a player I regularly listen to those two Ozzy albums (Blizzard of Ozz and Diary of a Madman) for inspiration. I hope I did his solo justice.

Analysis
The first line of this solo is a straight up F#min triad - but played as a tapped line. The tapping hand moves up one fret changing it to a D Major triad. But this time Randy switches it up to his signature tapped group of fives as opposed to the typical triplet feel (to give his some distance from copying Eddie Van Halen I suspect). A little trilled line of an Emaj for and the end which bends back up to (you guessed it) F#min. Randy typically favoured the sound of Natural minor (Aeolian) over a minor chord as opposed to many players of his and this day who opt for Dorian. This is very predominant in giving him his much more classical sound. He regularly used classical devices such as a trill (which this solo is FULL of). The solo ends with a blistering F#minor scale ending strongly on the high E note… The rhythm part here ends on an E chord - giving this a very strong resolution.

Getting the sound
I didn't really nail Randy's tone here… But he liked Double coil guitars through Marshall full stack LOADED with gain. He also had a WAH pedal always left on type of tone with that strong midrange honk. He liked MXR pedals as well but his pedal board was pretty sparse. His tone was (as all players) in his hands. See his rig here

The files
Here is the TAB sheet for your downloading pleasure.



This comes from my YouTube channel which has a number of these types of solos so check it out:

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCyostY3l4lrJ_t-gbFNEsrw?feature=watch

No comments:

Post a Comment