Saturday, September 17, 2011

Jimmy Bruno Guitar Workshop



Very recently, I joined jazz guitar master Jimmy Bruno's "Guitar Workshop" website. I have been silently following this site for a long time and finally decided it was time to give it a shot.

First impression: Fantastic!

Guitar Workshop, is a lesson site designed to allow you to study jazz guitar with Jimmy in a one-on-one type format. All the lessons have detailed video instruction, plus the other info you need to succeed. He is an excellent teacher and conveys his thoughts clearly and in an organized manner.

A very valuable part of the site - Jimmy also gives masterclasses. Where you can submit a video of yourself performing a piece or exercise. He views your take, then makes comments and suggestions to help you improve it. You don't have to do this part if you don't want to. But it is pretty cool that you can.

After exploring the site, I must say, he/they have done a fine job organizing and presenting the material. It appears to be a vibrant community and a glimpse into a very real future for instrument school sites. This is the future of online guitar instruction. I can one day picture many of the top players having this type of school available. Opening up potential revenue streams for musicians globally. With the ability to reach unlimited amounts of students globally. Very cool.

If you have any interest is learning jazz guitar this site is pretty amazing. Even if you just need help learning theory, scales or chords. I would recommend this site. The price is very reasonable (As of Sept 2011 $60 a quarter year).

Hats off to Jimmy! I have always loved his playing. It feels like quite an opportunity to study with him. Now we ALL can!

Here is the link

1 comment:

  1. I just checked Jimmy's sample videos and was immediately impressed by his no-nonsense approach.

    I smiled when he said "Rhythms" during his playing in the ii-V-I sample video - I like his verbal "shorthand"......full version:

    "See, it's how you play the notes rhythmically that's important, rather than which scales/modes they come from."

    "Keep it simple", he says, and plays simply, sounding totally cool!

    Thanks Jeremy! I think I'll go for this.

    ReplyDelete