Friday, May 27, 2011

My new fav Distortion pedal



"For many, many years you've basically had 2 choices for your Overdrive;/Distortion pedals... You could either get "Soft-clipped" Bluesy, slightly compressed, (Toob Screemer, FD2, etc etc etc etc etc etc) type Overdrive pedals... or you could get "Hard-Clipped" (OCD, Distortion+, Boss DS-1, etc etc etc etc etc etc) type Distortion pedals.
What if there was a pedal that offered both?"

This above quote comes directly from the mouth of Micheal Fuller President of Fulltone. To it I will respond with two words:

Mission Accomplished! 

Damn this is a seriously nice sounding guitar pedal! 
I am quite quickly believing Mr Fuller to be a man of rather extreme talents. A few years back, I purchased the Fulltone DejaVibe2 (univibe style pedal). I was, and remain, blown away by its authenticity to the original. So when I came across the PlimSoul at the store counter I was quite optimistic. After only a few days I am beginning to feel I will have a similar affection for this little beauty. I suspect it, like the DejaVibe2 will be a permanent resident on my pedal board.

I spent a good deal of time in the local music store, trying out numerous pedals - one after another. I must have tried 15-20 distortion/overdrive/fuzz pedals of all makes and models. In the end the Fulltone PlimSoul was the one I decided to take home for a demo with my guitar and live rig, before making the commitment to buy. It only got better!

Tuesday night - rehearsal with a 80's style metal project. The distortion provided was thick and clear. Through a Marshall 4x12 it sounded very authentic. Very cool! Thursday night - rehearsal with jazz/rock fusion instrumental project ... playing through a Dr Z Maz 38 (twin style combo). Again the beautiful distortion, had a warm bluesy density to it BUT it also maintained complete clarity. Wanted a tube screamer tone - it was there. Wanted a wide open Eric Johnson style lead sound - it was there too! Even full out, wide open, super saturation, I could hear every note in extended chord forms. SOLD!

In this corner of the world Fulltone is 2 for 2.... and I am becoming a big fan and believer. Thanks Mike! You made my guitar playing more inspired and enjoyable this week. Without folks like you, musicians would not be able to fulfill their tonal wishes. Great sounds breed inspiration, inspiration breeds great music. I am sure your pedals will play a big part in a lot of great music and its performance. I salute you.

Check out Fulltone, here is their PlimSoul website link.

I should say I have ZERO affiliation with Fulltone. This is the best kind of promotion: FREE!

No comments:

Post a Comment