Friday, January 14, 2011

Game on!

Some rights reserved by NVJ


"What happened to all the good music?" or "It seems like musicians have run out of ideas" How many times have you heard (or felt) these feelings? Personally, I have heard many people pondering these pretty valid questions.

Ever the optimist, I have always held tightly to the theory that in popular music's 'heyday' there were hundreds of smaller record labels producing music. Therefore, the ability for an artist to produce their craft unmolested, was quite common. In the years that followed the 'suits' came to realize how much money was to be made in, what was at the time, a fairly untapped resource. One by one small labels got consumed by larger corporate entities. With each take-over the amount of voices with a say in the industry, became smaller and smaller.

Over the last 2 decades, what we have been 'allowed to hear' has been largely decided for us, by a small group of individuals. What's worse: these individuals ONLY interest has been making a buck.

Along comes the internet!
More specifically - high speed internet. Followed by sites like MySpace and YouTube. These great equalizers will once again splinter the control and the old boys club hopefully for a long time. At least this has been my theory! Until recently it was a theory ... then along comes a band like Project RnL to brighten my day.

Check out this sonic coolness:




Big fan. These guys aren't alone either. The emergence of other cool young bands seem to be happening with increasing frequency. Bands like Black Dub - to name another.

Hold onto your hats my friends. I believe we at the beginning of a musical renaissance. Hearing young cats playing with such soul and intensity only strengthens my resolve. The old system IS losing control. Musicians are beginning to take the power back (come on COME ON!)

Get your ears on and get out there. It's an exciting time to be a music lover.

Happy Friday indeed!

3 comments:

  1. Great entry and so much optimism. Very, very cool. I'm excited for my ears and soul.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First I must say that you and Tracey are so perfectly matched it's blissing me right out ANNND that sound of Project RnL is really unique and at first I wasn't sure but then I was like, hellyeah!
    Funny how I'm so preprogrammed to listen to what THEY want me to.
    :)
    Keep the blogging up. I want to do a spotlight on the Green family soon!!! lol

    You guys inspire me. Let's get together soon!
    After all, it's been about 20 years.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Aw, shucks Gillian! I often think of you and Jill and would love to get the six of us together sometime. :)

    ReplyDelete