Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Welcome to Six String Obsession!

Hey all!

Welcome to the first official post in my new blog. I'm a blogger?? Seems inconceivable somehow, yet here I am writing.

I have had a lifelong journey with the coolest instrument of all - the guitar. Since the age of 12 when I used to sneak into my older brother's room without his knowledge and play his (then new) Ibanez Roadstar Custom. For reasons only my 12 year old self knew, I didn't want anyone to know I was learning. This went on for almost a year before I was found out.

Once "out of the closet", the world of music opened its arms to me and, since then, has filled my life with such purpose and passion that only a creative art can give. I have taught likely over 400 people over these years (at one point around 75 a week!) and most recently my children. Let the torch be theirs to hold high or so they say!

Which brings me to the reason for this blog: In my travels I come across tricks, gadgets, performances, lessons, insights and a whole gamut of guitar-istic madness. My intention is to post all that stuff here so that we can all learn and grow together.

So join me in all this! If you have never played, hopefully I can help inspire you to do so. If you do play, hopefully you will get something from this - or maybe even contribute to it. If you come across anything particularly cool, please drop me a line through this blog. I would love to have a community of like-minded individuals to share info with!



6 comments:

  1. Welcome to the blogging world...What a great idea for a blog. I remember those early days lol.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Welcome, blog boy! Nice to hear you paying it forward to all those guitar freaks out there...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congrats to the newest blogger in your household! Once my son picks up the guitar I will send him your way. I'm sure its only a matter of time. He just started learning bass 6 weeks ago and now its tied with drums for his favourite intstrument

    ReplyDelete
  4. Jen - learning to play ANY instrument is a thing of beauty. Get him jamming with a band. Encourage that to happen no matter his instrument or level. If he does that he is on the road and love will grow exponentially!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jeremy!

    My first teacher only knew like 4 or 5 chords. But she knew a million songs, and most importantly, she LOVED music. She showed a 7 year old kid how much music meant to her and it changed my life.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Great story Jon! I love hearing how established players got rolling.

    It's funny when the bug hit me... Kind of like a freight train. It is true the people who have made the biggest musical impact on my life have been the ones with passion - more than the ones with talent necessarily. Both is a lethal combo!

    But one thing made me want to do it more than anything - SABBATH!! : )

    ReplyDelete